Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thing #Six

The tool that I selected from the Web 2.0 nominee list is Google Earth. The link to the article I read is right here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13546_109-10237746-29.html?tag=mncol. I really enjoyed being able to look nearly anywhere in the world from a satillete perspective. It's like being a bird that can teleport anywhere! My favorite feature, however, is that you can zoom all the way down onto a road anywhere in the country. You can even shift your point of view and move around on the street like you are really there! The only thing that concerns me is that now I feel like  am being watched everywhere i go. Other than that this tool is loads of fun!

Google Earth can be very useful in a variety of ways. The most obvious is that you can see anything almost anywhere. I will use this tool many times in my future when finding directions to a place. Instead of writing down street names and being unfamiliar with the land and roads, I can take a look around before I ever even leave my room! This way I will never miss a hidden or hard to find turn again. I can definitely see this being of use in a classroom or library setting. This tool can be used as a visual diagram when teaching geography. It can also be used as a reference point when teaching world history. Google Earth can be used in all sorts of research projects pertaining to the planet. Plus, it is just fun to use and practically travel the world virtually.

No comments:

Post a Comment